An action role-playing game prototype I've started working on.
I will update this project with new playable builds when I have something to show. You can follow my progress in my WIP thread on the Unity forums, here:
Hack & slash:
- Added a quit button to the menu.
- Added a slider for controlling UI scale to the menu.
- Implemented defense as a stat. Only shields give defense at this moment and currently defense is a straight percentage damage reduction.
- Added a vendor which you can trade with.
- You can now buy, sell, equip, unequip and use items by right clicking and it's all context sensitive.
- Added respawn points.
- Zombies can now kill you.
- If killed you respawn on the respawn point you last stepped on.
- You can now drink health potions to regain health. Right click on them in the inventory or add them to your toolbar and drink them using the corresponding hotkeys (1-4).
- You can now punch zombies with authority.
- Added amulets and rings.
- Your strength now affects the damage you deal. You get 1% extra damage per point of strength.
- Dexterity now affects your attack speed. You get 1% attack speed per point of dexterity.
- Vitality now affects your health. You get 2 points of health per point of vitality
- Intelligence now affects your mana. You get 2 points of mana per point of intelligence. Mana currently serves no purpose, but I'm sure it soon will.
- Items can now spawn with modifiers that modify your attributes and stats. I'm currently working on defense so it's not working for the time being.
- Polished the player movement. No more endless spinning and you're now more responsive when moving around.
- Made an audio manager and passed all the sounds through it to ensure a consistent audio setup.
- You now start with a white basic shield and sword. I also add 16 random items to your inventory just for early testing.
- Added weapon range as a stat. The 3 currently implemented weapon types have vastly different range, speed and damage.
- Made major tweaks to weapon timings, animation speeds etc. A weapon swing is now fast up until the point in the animation where damage is dealt and then slow on the back swing. This makes slower weapons feel more snappy. I've also rewritten and tested the weapon swing code a billion times with a stop watch to ensure 1 attack per second actually is 1 attack per second. There are a lot of wonky delays when working with Coroutines and Mecanim.
- Zombie movement is tweaked a bit.
- Added quite a few particle effects and sound effects to polish things up a bit.
- Added collision geometry to every object in the world.
- Optimized the temporary terrain by about 100%.
- The zombie spawners now spawn a chest and when you open the chest and kill all the zombies the spawner resets after 60 seconds allowing you to grind indefinitely if you so choose..
- Made a lot of progress towards making the combat feel like the best games of the genre (Diablo 2 & 3 / Path of Exile). You can now hold in shift and just swing freely and you will damage anything inside your weapon range and field of view, currently 90 degrees in front of you.
- You can now also move and attack using both the left and right mouse button and I've polished up the interactions between using the inventory, opening chests, picking up items, fighting and moving.
- The selection outline/highlight is really sexy now.
- Implemented different item base types with different affixes.
- Items now actually affect the character's stats when equipped.
- The damage you deal and your attack speed is now affected by the weapon you have equipped.
- Tooltips now always stay within the screen boundaries.
- Polished up the UI a bit.
- Added a close-button to the interface panels.
- Made it possible to drag the interface panels around.
- Added a settings menu with some quality of life game settings like brightness, audio, performance etc.
- Moved the equip slots to the inventory panel and made the character panel display character stats.
- The zombies now have a basic AI and you can kill them. They can't hurt you yet.
- Added some more animations to the zombies and they're now spawned from spawn zones that activate when you enter them.
- Implemented player and zombie health.
- Added life and mana meters, but they're not wired up yet.
- Added a cat which follows you around and you can pick it up, obviously.
- Replaced the color highlight on items with an outline. It works perfectly for the cat and the zombies, but it’s wonky for the items. Not sure how to fix it as I’m a shader noob.
- Initial release
- Some of the particle effects look absolutely horrible at night time. I'm not even sure how you make particle effects that look good both in direct light and in darkness, not sure if it's possible without some form of lit particles. But they can for sure look a lot better than what they do at the moment.
- Upgrading to Unity 5.5 broke my outline effect. It now shows through other objects.
Upcoming features (version 0.2.0-ish):
I just finished all the features for 0.1.0 and then some so I will rewrite this soon.
- Add a procedural dungeon.
- Implement a main gameplay loop which allows the game to be played "infinitely". I.e. you complete the dungeon, equip better items, sell all your loot, reroll the dungeon, complete it again, equip better items, sell all your loot etc.